Deborah McDonough, CPA
Title:Director, Tax Services
Education:BS in Biochemistry, Virginia Tech; Master of Professional Accountancy, Clemson University
As a Director within Cherry Bekaert’s Tax practice, Debbie is responsible for all aspects of tax planning and compliance services for corporate, partnership and individual clients. In particular, she offers tax planning services for closely held businesses while leveraging her expertise in areas such as capital and financing alternatives, acquisitions and dispositions of businesses, and depreciation methods. Located in the Firm’s Greenville office, Debbie also assists with the preparation of federal and state tax returns, and guides on issues related to state taxes for flow-through entities.
Serving clients across a variety of industries, Debbie specializes in flow-through entities, S corporations and complex tiered partnerships within the real estate industry. Furthermore, she is versed in guiding C corporations and high-net-worth individuals, as well as working on special allocations, Section 754, 704(c) and Reverse 704(c) adjustments, and financial planning matters regarding cash flow management, retirement planning and limited estate planning.
With over 30 years of tax experience, Debbie spent more than 20 years at large regional firms and six years at Big Four firms. Additionally, she has conducted seminars for clients and local organizations on various tax issues, from real estate development to financial planning for women. Before arriving at Cherry Bekaert, Debbie was a senior tax manager and member of the real estate group at a Top 50 CPA firm.
Specialties/Areas of Expertise
- High-Net-Worth Individuals
- Like-Kind Exchange Planning
- Multi-State for Partnership and S Corporations
- Pass-Thru Entities
- Real Estate
- South Carolina Real Estate Credits
- American Institute for Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Former Women in Leadership Committee Member and 2010 Emerging Leader Award Winner, South Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (SCACPA)
- Membership Committee, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), Upstate of South Carolina
- 2016 CREW Leadership & Career Advancement for Women Award Recipient
- Urban Land Institute