Melisa F. Galasso, CPA
Title:Director, Audit Professional Practices
Education:B.S. in Business Administration, concentration in Accounting & International Business, Georgetown University
A Certified Public Accountant with over 15 years of experience, Melisa is an Audit Professional Practices Director at Cherry Bekaert LLP. In this role, she assists with technical issues and quality control of the Firm’s assurance services practice. Melisa serves as the technical liaison to the Firm’s Not-For-Profit, Education and Government Services industry groups. She also works
in the Firm’s training department developing Continuing Professional Education ranging from newsletter articles to webinars. Melisa monitors regulatory bodies including the Financial Accounting Standards Board, Government Accounting Standards Board and American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for changes in auditing and accounting guidance and assists the Firm in implementing the updated guidance. She has served a broad range of clients in a variety of industries, including government, not-for-profit, and manufacturing.
Melisa has considerable teaching experience. She serves as a Lead Instructor for Becker Professional Development, and is a frequent speaker for the NCACPA, AICPA, VSCPA and other organizations. She has won several awards for her classes including the NCACPA Don Farmer award, which recognizes a seminar discussion leader with the highest combined average scores
on knowledge, skills, and materials from participant evaluations, for all courses taught in a technical area. Prior to joining the Firm, Melisa worked as an accounting manager for SPP America, Inc., and as an adjunct professorial lecturer at Georgetown University.
- Technical Issues Committee, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (NCACPA)
- Auditing & Attestation Committee Chair, NCACPA
- Top 5 Under 35, VSCPA (2016)
- 50 Most Influential Women, Mecklenburg Times (2016)
- Don Farmer Award, NCACPA (2016)
- 5.0 Speaker Award, NCACPA (2016, 2015)
- Leadership Academy Graduate, AICPA (2014)
- Emerging Leader, Women to Watch, NCACPA (2013)