2019 Annual Government Seminar in Newport News
You are invited to attend Cherry Bekaert’s 2019 Government Seminar Series. As you have come to expect from this highly successful and well-attended series, we will provide a half-day of training addressing the issues most impacting the government sector. This year’s topics include:
- GASB #84 – Fiduciary Activities and
GASB #87 – Leases
- Auditor of Public Accounts Update
- Understanding an Actuarial Study with Bolton Partners, Inc.
- Technology: Innovation vs. Risk
GASB 84 Fiduciary Activities and GASB 87 Leases
This course is designed to provide an overview of the requirements in GASB 84 – Fiduciary Activities and GASB87 – Leases. The primary objective of this Statement is to improve accounting and financial reporting by state and local governments for fiduciary activities and leases. We’ll discuss both the accounting and reporting under these new standards.
- Understand accounting and reporting requirements under GASB84 – Fiduciary Activities
- Understand accounting and reporting requirements under GASB87 – Leases
- Determine the effect to your entity and assist with implementation of these new standards
Auditor of Public Accounts Update
This session will provide an update on various local government topics, including changes from the 2019 legislative session, their resulting impact on local governments, and updates on APA’s processes and specifications.
- Reminders on important annual audit and reporting requirements, the APA’s Audit Specifications, and the comparative report transmittal process.
- Overview and recent results of the APA’s quality control reviews over CPA firms auditing Virginia’s local governments
- Latest update on the APA’s annual fiscal distress monitoring process
Understanding an Actuarial Study
Actuarial reports may cover a variety of insurance programs, from employee benefits to general liability, and be provided for different purposes (such as funding, accounting or plan design analysis). The actuaries presenting this session focus on the actuarial measurements relevant to pension and other post-retirement benefits (OPEB). Among the topics discussed are the common inputs to the actuarial valuation, the liability measurements that are the output of the actuarial valuation, how those outputs are used for different purposes, and what is required to be included in the actuary’s report.
- Difference between pension and OPEB benefits
- Common inputs to the valuation model for pension and OPEB valuations (including those unique to OPEB plans).
- Measures of actuarial liabilities presented in the actuarial report and Required contents of the actuarial report (and why it’s included).
Digital Transformation and the Right Balance Between Innovation and Risk
Digital Transformation is quickly impacting every industry and business. We are dealing with unprecedented access to technology including unlimited computing power and storage, along with disruptive technologies like the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, machine learning and more. It is a time of unparalleled transformation and disruption and many industries will be redefined. Leading an organization’s technology efforts is a balancing act between the seemingly contradictory expectations of management and end users in a fiscally responsible manner. In this session, we will dig deeper to find the right balance between innovation and risk and building success through incremental wins based on existing tools and effective adoption.
- Learn how to find the right balance between innovation and risk related to organizational technologies.
- Learn to build organizational success with effective technology adoption and incremental wins.
- Learn how Digital Transformation is currently impacting the business landscape and how your organization can prepare.
Prerequisites | None
Advanced Preparation | None
Recommended Hours of CPE | 4 Hours*
Delivery Method | Group Live
Program Level | Basic
CPE Category | Accounting, Auditing, Information Technology, Specialized Knowledge and Application, Management Advisory Services
4 hours of CPE credits offered at no charge!
*Cherry Bekaert is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website. | www.learningmarket.org
Cherry Bekaert Continuing Professional Education: Statement of Administrative Policies
Complaint Resolution Policy
Cherry Bekaert will make every effort to provide the best training courses possible. In the event participants are not completely satisfied with the training course and wish to file a complaint, please contact Karen McManus at email@example.com or 804.673.5748 within 10 business days of the event. Information about the course such as date, location, instructor and nature of complaint must be provided. Complaints may also be made in writing to: Cherry Bekaert LLP, 200 South 10th Street, Suite 900, Richmond, VA 23219, ATTN: Karen McManus
Record Retention Policy
Cherry Bekaert will retain all Continuing Professional Education (CPE) documents for five years from training course date. These records will include:
- Course outline
- Course content and handouts
- Sign in sheets
- Dates and locations of training courses
- Instructor credentials
- Course evaluations
- CPE certificates stating amount of recommended CPE credit
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Cherry Bekaert reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any training courses up to 10 business days prior to the date of the event. Full refunds will be provided to registered course participants if the course is cancelled or if participants are unable to attend the rescheduled event.
Participants who must to cancel their course registration 10 or more business days in advance of the event must contact Karen McManus to receive a full refund of all fees paid. Participants who must cancel their registration within 10 business days of the event, will not receive a refund.