2020 Virtual Government Conference
Join Cherry Bekaert for our Virtual Government Services Conference providing up to five hours of CPE credit. You can choose to attend the morning session and/or one of the two afternoon sessions for in-depth learning on the latest government regulations.
Kickoff: 8:50 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m. – 9:50 a.m.
This course is designed to provide an overview of the requirements in GASB87 – Leases. The primary objective of this Statement is to improve accounting and financial reporting by state and local governments for leases. We’ll discuss both the accounting and reporting under this new standard.
CARES Act Auditing, Accounting, and Compliance Considerations for Local Governments
10:00 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.
This course will specifically discuss the deferred revenue that will likely stem from Cares Act Relief Funds (CRF), as most funding is received up front and not expended by 6/30. We will also review and discuss the importance of record keeping and substantiation of the expenditures under the criteria for CRF.
Cyber Risk & Fraud Protection
11:00 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.
This course is intended to provide fraud risk awareness to the public sector, covering several recent high profile fraud cases and the best practices in fraud risk management. Also covered are a review of the duration of fraud before detected, segregation of duties foundational controls, and examples of data analytics used in two fraud cases to provide insights to participants to take back to their own nonprofit organizations.
- Laura Harden, Director | Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Victoria Bean, Senior Accountant | Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Scott McKay, Partner | Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Bryce Gartner, Partner | Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Daniel Gougherty, Director | Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Tracy Bedgood, Senior Manager | Cherry Bekaert LLP
APA Update (Virginia Specific)
1:00 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.
This session will provide an update related to the APA’s oversight for Virginia local governments, to include: reminders on important annual audit and reporting requirements, upcoming accounting standards, the APA’s Audit Specifications, and the APA comparative report transmittal process; changes from the 2020 and 2019 Virginia General Assembly legislative sessions that impact local governments; overview and recent results of the APA’s annual quality control reviews over CPA firms auditing Virginia’s local governments; update on the APA’s annual fiscal distress monitoring process over cities, counties, and towns.
Cyber Insurance and Risk (Virginia Specific)
2:00 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.
This course will cover Industry Standard Cyber Insurance Liability Coverage. Participants will learn what strategies two municipalities used to combat Cyber Attacks. We will examine two Case Studies, and review the outcomes and Best Practices Adopted for the future.
- Rachel Reamy, Audit Manager | Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts
- Julie Statland, Partner | Statland and Katz
LGC Update (North Carolina Specific)
1:00 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.
This course provides an iupdate on current issues relevant to local government auditors and finance officials, with some specific to the State of NC including the 2020 audit process.
- Sharon Edmundson, Director of the Fiscal Management Section, State and Local Government Finance Division | North Carolina Department of State Treasurer
Prerequisites | None
Advanced Preparation | None
Recommended Hours of CPE | Up to 5 Hours*
Delivery Method | Webinar
Program Level | Basic
CPE Category | Accounting (Governmental)
Cherry Bekaert Continuing Professional Education: Statement of Admin Policies
This event is complimentary. Due to this program being offered free of charge, there will be no refunds.
CPE for Virtual Events
- Please join sessions on time, or 5 minutes early if possible. Joining a session late may cause you to lose the ability to obtain CPE based on the following NASBA regulations:
- There will be 4 polling questions per hour of each session.
- In order to receive CPE credit for virtual events, you must attend at a minimum, 50 minutes of every hour and respond to at least 3 of the 4 polling questions per hour.
- Polling questions will not be announced in advance.
- If you view the conference in a group setting, you will still need to log into CPE sessions through your laptop to track your attendance and respond to the polls.
- We cannot guarantee polling questions will appear on your mobile device. Please keep in mind we recommend using your laptop for your training session and will not be able to give you CPE credits for mobile technological issues.
- You will receive one certificate for each course you attend/pass.
- For questions regarding registration or event cancellation, please contact Maddie Robbins.
- For all other questions regarding CPE policies – please contact Cherry Bekaert at email@example.com.
Cherry Bekaert is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website. | www.learningmarket.org