Unrelated Business Income – Concepts, Planning Opportunities, and Changes due to Tax Reform
Exempt organizations are increasingly diversifying their revenue sources in order to combat reduced charitable giving due to economic downturns and now the impact of tax reform. However, they must consider modifications and exclusions that determine whether revenue is treated as taxable unrelated business income (“UBTI”). Through proper planning, exempt organizations may be able to anticipate and mitigate the impact of UBTI on their bottom line and exempt status. In this session, we will review the basic concepts, discuss common opportunities to structure transactions to have more favorable tax treatment, and explore the changes to UBTI brought about by recent tax reform.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe basic unrelated business income concepts
- List opportunities to structure transactions to minimize UBTI
- Analyze tax reform impact on UBTI
- Amanda Adams, Managing Director, Tax Services | Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Melisa Galasso, Director, Audit Professional Practices | Cherry Bekaert LLP