July 15 Postponed Deadline for Most Tax Returns, Payments and Items
On April 6, 2020, the IRS issued Notice 20-23, which provided for an almost comprehensive postponement to July 15, 2020, for federal income tax returns, payments, and other time-sensitive acts normally due between April 1, 2020, and July 15, 2020.
The items that were postponed to July 15 include:
- Filing and payment of federal taxes reported on the following:
- Forms 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-NR, 1040-NR-EZ, 1040-PR, 1040-SS
- Forms 1041, 1041-N, 1041-QFT
- Forms 1120, 1120-C, 1120-F, 1120-FSC, 1120-H, 1120-L, 1120-ND, 1120-PC, 1120-POL, 1120-REIT, 1120-RIC, 1120-SF
- Net Investment Income Tax Individuals, Estates, and Trusts (Form 8960)
- Tax on Base Erosion Payments of Taxpayers With Substantial Gross Receipts (Form 8991)
- Estate Tax Return (Form 706)
- Gift Tax Return (Form 709)
- Split-Interest Trust Information Return (Form 5227)
- Corporation Application for Quick Refund of Overpayment of Estimated Tax (Form 4466)
- Refund claims for which the refund statute of limitations expires between April 1 and July 15
- Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts (Form 3520)
- Application for Change in Accounting Method (Form 3115)
- Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax (Form 990)
- Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return (Form 990-T)
- IRA Contribution Information (Form 5498 series)
- Income Tax Return of a Foreign Corporation (Form 1120-F)
- Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return (Form 1040-NR)
- International Information Returns (Forms 5471, 5472, 8865, 8858, 8938, 926, etc.)
- Fiscal-year or short-year returns
- First and second quarter estimates
- IRA and HSA contributions
- Retirement plan contributions
- Installment payments under section 965
To see the current list of state due dates, please click here.
An automatic extension to file your federal income tax return by October 15 can be obtained so long as the extension request is filed by July 15. To avoid interest and penalties when filing your tax return after July 15, pay the tax you estimate as due with your extension request.
The IRS has also provided guidance on additional acts that have been postponed, including Qualified Opportunity Zone investments, 1031 like-kind exchanges, applications for tentative refunds, and elections under section 163(j), and provided relief to partnerships to be able to file amended returns.
Cherry Bekaert remains committed to providing you a superior client experience. We continue to work hard and creatively to meet your tax return needs and encourage you to submit your tax information to us as early as you can.
Accessing online client portal for tax clients: Our preferred method to receive documents is through our secure Client Portal here. If you have trouble accessing the Client Portal, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and note “Client Assistance Needed” in the subject line of your message.
If you have paper documents that you cannot deliver electronically, we plan to have at least one person in each of our offices to receive mail and packages, as well as to facilitate work between our people and our clients.