The Most Underused Tax Deduction: Understanding 179D with Bill Harbeson
Cherry Bekaert’s Bill Harbeson, Tax Credits & Incentives Advisory Manager, joined the IDI Distributor R-Value podcast to discuss the details of the Section 179D Energy-Efficient Commercial Building Deduction (Sect. 179D) and benefits it could potentially have for your construction company. The Sect. 179D deduction was recently enhanced through the Inflation Reduction Act and ensures that more taxpayers are eligible for the tax deduction.
This podcast covers:
- 1:59 – What is the 179D tax deduction?
- 8:00 – What is necessary to qualify for the 179D tax deduction?
- 21:47 – Who can claim the deduction for the building? How did the Inflation Reduction Act change this?
- 25:29 – What are the best “bang for your buck” projects for insulators as it relates to this deduction?
- 29:00 – Which buildings are the best targets for this deduction?
- 30:45 – What if you own your own shop?
- 37:20 – What is Cherry Bekaert’s role in helping contractors with 179D?
Listen to the R-Value Podcast here.
- Understanding the Expanded Benefits of Energy Tax Incentives Under 179D and 45L
- Inflation Reduction Act Nearly Triples Section 179D Tax Incentives
- Leveraging the 179D Energy Tax Deduction for Architecture and Engineering Firms
- Section 179D Energy Efficient Tax Deduction: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions