Energy Savings Revolution – Section 179D for Commercial Buildings
Section 179D Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings Deduction (Section 179D) was significantly enhanced through the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), offering commercial building owners and designers, like architects and engineers, potential lucrative tax credits. The tax credit rewards qualifying energy-efficient commercial buildings to encourage clean energy and offset the costs of the improvements.
Energy Tax Credits & Incentives team members, Bill Harbeson, Manager, and Andre Kohn, Senior Associate, share their knowledge on Section 179D with Brooks Nelson, Partner and Strategic Tax Leader, and Sarah McGregor, Tax Director.
Listen to this podcast episode to learn more about:
- 03:12 – The history of Section 179D
- 04:06 – How Section 179D works
- 06:21 – IRA updates
- 11:37 – Which projects Section 179D can be used for
- 15:47 – Section 179D client case study
- 17:21 – Qualification Process
- New IRS Form 7205 for Returns Requiring Section 179D Documentation
- 179D Energy Efficient Commercial Building Deduction Now in Effect
- Understanding the Expanded Benefits of Energy Tax Incentives Under 179D and 45L
- Inflation Reduction Act Nearly Triples Section 179D Tax Incentives
- Global A&E Firm Saves $2 Million with 179D Tax Deduction
- How to Claim Section 179D Energy-Efficiency Tax Deduction: A Guide for Architects and Engineers