State & Local Government Consulting
At Cherry Bekaert, we understand the distinct challenges state and local governments face. As one of the largest providers of audit and advisory services to the state and local government market, we have unique insight into the needs, operations, and business of government. We recognize economic impacts of any kind impact state and local government first. We focus on the areas of highest need and those that enable and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the business of government.
Cherry Bekaert stands ready to assist our state and local government clients achieve their organizational goals and manage effectively, efficiently, and responsively. Many Cherry Bekaert team members have worked in government, which helps us better understand what you are trying to achieve and the obstacles and opportunities that may exist within your organization. You will find working with our team that we have a clear sense of your priorities, goals, and objectives.
Explore Our State and Local Government Consulting Services
Risk Advisory for State & Local Government
Comprehensive Risk and Accounting Advisory Services for State and Local Governments
Our team is comprised of advisory professionals with deep government consulting experience, many of whom have worked in government, with first-hand knowledge of organizations’ process, technology, rules and regulations, and experience working with elected office holders and career civil servants.
- Risk Assessment
- Internal Audit
- Fraud and Investigative Services
- Compliance, Performance and Operational Audits
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Program Integrity Monitoring
- Indirect Cost Allocation
- Grant Compliance and Monitoring
Accounting Advisory for State & Local Government
Technical Accounting Advisory Services for State and Local Governments
As governmental accounting standards become increasingly complex and accounting staffing shortages worsen, the demand for high-quality GASB accounting expertise continues to rise. Cherry Bekaert’s accounting advisory team provides timely, accurate governmental accounting and financial reporting services to organizations throughout the country. Whether it be a narrow scope accounting statement implementation, a surged response to rectify financial statement close or account reconciliation issues, or a long-term co-sourced relationship, Cherry Bekaert has an accounting solution to meet your needs.
Cybersecurity & Information Assurance
Comprehensive Cyber and Information Security Support for State and Local Governments
As public sector agencies digitalize their processes, the threat of ransomware attacks and data breaches increases. Never has the protection of an organization’s data been more important, and the threats against it more present. Cyber breaches not only affect an organization’s finances but can impact operations and make it harder to measure results, and perhaps more importantly damage an organization’s reputation. Cherry Bekaert assists clients in identifying relevant cybersecurity risks and developing realistic solutions and plans to help minimize the likelihood and impact of systems and data being compromised.
- IT and Cybersecurity Governance, Strategy, Security Planning and Policies & Procedures
- Cybersecurity Readiness Assessments
- Risk & Vulnerability Assessments
- Security Framework Assessments and Testing
- Attack & Penetration Tests/Ethical Hacking
- Technology and Cybersecurity Due Diligence
- Cybersecurity Defense and Response
- Security Awareness Training & Program Development
- Continuity of Operations Planning & Support
- Service Organization Controls (SOC) Services
Digital Advisory for State & Local Government
Comprehensive Digital Advisory Services for State and Local Governments
Using a digital environment with data-driven practices can increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state and local organizations’ operations and teams allowing a better focus on achievement of objectives and mission. We focus specifically on working with departments and divisions of state governments, counties, cities, towns, villages, school districts, library systems, stand-alone enterprise funds, authorities, commissions, boards and planning councils to better manage risk, protect value, and build sustainable and resilient operations. Our priority is enabling state and local governments to harness their full potential by optimizing data for better decision making, service delivery, and keeping data safe.
- Analytics-as-a-Service (AaaS)
- Continuous Process Improvement
- Digital Strategy and Organization Transformation Services
- Data Analytics and Intelligence
- Cost Optimization
- Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evaluation, Implementation and Support
- Process Optimization and Workflow Automation Services
- Organizational Alignment and Process Redesign
Technology Strategy & Implementation
- Project and Program Management
- IT System Requirements and Design
- Project Assurance/Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V)
- Budget System and Process Consulting
- Procurement to Payment (P2P)
- Built for Purpose Business Solutions and Technology
- Procurement Support and Negotiations
- Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evaluation, Implementation and Support
Audit and Assurance for State & Local Government
Assurance Services for State and Local Governments
In an environment of falling revenues, tightening budgets and increasingly complex compliance restrictions, it is important to have the right government accountant providing the proper technical guidance, reducing the demands on government staff, and allowing entities to focus on their constituents.
Cherry Bekaert’s Government & Public Sector team provides innovative and effective audit, assurance, and attestation services to state and local governments. Our professionals have held key positions for The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and state and local committees. They attend and teach at conferences hosted by the Government Finance Officer Association (GFOA) and the Association of Government Accountants (AGA).
Our Government & Public Sector professionals stay informed about market conditions and industry trends that may affect state & local governments. Through this commitment and dedication, we have a significant concentration of expertise which, together with our Firm’s size, has provided us a niche and unsurpassed reputation serving government.
- Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) and Financial Statement Audits
- Uniform Grant Guidance (UGG) Audits and Data Collection Forms
- State-Specific Single Audits
- State-Specific Required Agreed Upon Procedures and Examinations
- Pension Plan Audits
- Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) Audits
- National Transit Database (NTD) Reporting
- Electronic Submission of Real Estate Assessment Center’s (REAC)
Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s Data Tells the Real Story
Learn how we helped Prince George's County Memorial Library System harness their data using Tableau...
Tableau Case Study for Frederick County Public Libraries: Utilizing Data To Cultivate Community Connection
Learn how our Digital Advisory team helped Frederick County Public Libraries simplify systems reporting and...
A Unified Data Landscape for Maryland Libraries
Learn how we helped Maryland State Library Agency (MSLA) build a unified data landscape by...