Scott M. McKay, CPA, CFE, CIA, CCSA
Leadership Role:National Leader, Risk Advisory Services
Education:B.S. in Business Administration, University of LaVerne; Master of Accountancy, San Diego State University
Designations:CPA, CFE, CIA, CCSA
A Partner in the Raleigh office and National Leader of Cherry Bekaert’s Risk Advisory Services Group, Scott provides businesses with keen insight in regards to postacquisition integrations; international financial operations; internal audit; optimizing internal control design (including SEC reporting); business process redesign and outsourcing; anti-fraud control; and forensic accounting. He also has hands-on experience implementing best practices and sustainable programs related to Enterprise Risk Management (ERM).
Prior to joining the Firm, Scott served for seven years in financial leadership roles as corporate controller and as director of corporate audit for a large public, multi-national semiconductor company responsible for global accounting, internal control and SEC reporting. Scott began his career as an auditor with a local firm before joining a national accounting firm where he advanced to manager providing audit, assurance and risk advisory services for a variety of industries. Prior to his career in public accounting, Scott served in the United States Navy in various operational roles around the globe.
Scott is a member of THInc, the Firm’s specialty practice focused on guiding growth through innovation. Clients in the Technology, Health & Life Sciences, and Industrial sectors depend on him to help them maximize opportunities for innovation. He also serves on the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Risk Management and Internal Control Advisory Committee and is a member of the Internal Control Task Force focused on the new COSO Internal Control Integrated Framework released in May 2013.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Auditing and Internal Control Systems
- COSO Internal Control and COSO ERM
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Sarbanes-Oxley Section 302 and 404 Reporting Requirements
- Anti-Fraud Control and Forensic Accounting
- Risk Management and Internal Control Advisory, AICPA Business and Industry
- Task Force Member, COSO Internal Control Integrated Framework, AICPA
- Chief Audit Executive Roundtables, Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- ERM Roundtables, North Carolina State University (NCSU)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Student Advisory Council, NCSU College of Management
- USO Volunteer and Military Family Support Group, Hope Community Church