How Will NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-171, Revision 3 Impact CMMC?
In this episode, Eric Poppe, a Managing Director in Cherry Bekaert’s Government Contractor Industry practice, is joined by Brian Kirk, Senior Manager in the Firm’s Information Assurance & Cybersecurity practice, to discuss the impact of the Draft NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-171 Revision 3 on the Department of Defense’s (DoD) Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) 2.0 program. The Revision 3 draft was released on May 10, 2023, and is out for public comment through July 14, 2023.
Listen in as they share insights into:
- Why the update to NIST SP 800-171 is significant to CMMC
- Timeline for the final version of NIST SP 800-171 Revision 3 and subsequent revisions to the CMMC Assessment Guide, which is based on NIST 800-171 Revision 2
- Revisions to the set of supporting NIST publications on protecting controlled unclassified information, including SPs 800-171A (security requirement assessment), SP 800-172 (enhanced security requirements) and SP 800-172A (enhanced security requirement assessment)
- A summary of the significant changes between NIST SP 800-171, Revision 2 and Draft NIST SP 800-171, Revision 3
- Recommendations to DoD contractors seeking a CMMC assessment with CMMC readiness and Defense Industrial Base Cybersecurity Assessment Center (DIBCAC) Joint Surveillance Voluntary Level 2 assessments in partnership with the DIBCAC
If you have any questions regarding CMMC, Cherry Bekaert’s Information Assurance & Cybersecurity and Government Contracting advisors are available to discuss your situation with you. Cherry Bekaert is authorized by the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) Accreditation Body, Inc. (The Cyber AB) as a CMMC Third-Party Assessment Organization (C3PAO). As an authorized C3PAO, Cherry Bekaert assists DoD contractors seeking a CMMC assessment with CMMC readiness and DIBCAC Joint Surveillance Voluntary Level 2 assessments in partnership with the DIBCAC.
Having undergone Level 2 assessment as a Firm, Cherry Bekaert has a deep understanding of the assessment process to guide DoD contractors seeking a CMMC assessment.
Catch up on Cherry’s Bekaert’s previous guidance pertaining to CMMC 2.0:
- Article: Updated Projected Timeline for CMMC: What this Means for Contractors and How to Prepare for Certification
- Podcast: Final CMMC Rule: March 2023 Update
- Podcast: CMMC 2.0 – Where Does It Stand?
- Podcast: What’s New with CMMC 2.0?: August 2022 Update
- Podcast: CMMC 2.0 Brings Major Program Changes
- On-Demand Webinar: CMMC 2.0 Brings Major Program Changes